Phenicell Regenerative Institute in Columbus, Ohio aims to serve and educate our patients regarding natural biologics and regenerative medicine in general. We wish to facilitate the whole treatment experience. We created this Patient Resources section to help you with the logistics. The glossary of terms located below is especially helpful to new patients. Also feel free to view our FAQ for more information.
Glossary of Terms
- Adult natural biologics - multipotent natural biologics that can develop into various types of cells, but are tissue-specific
- Amniotic Fluid - the fluid that surrounds and helps protect an unborn baby during pregnancy
- Amniotic Membrane - the innermost layer of the placenta; contains natural biologics
- Bone Marrow - spongy tissue containing natural biologics that is found inside certain bones of the body
- Embryonic natural biologics - natural biologics originating from embryos (i.e. fertilized eggs)
- Freeze Drying - also known as lyophilization or cryodesiccation, is a low temperature dehydration process that involves freezing the product, lowering pressure, then removing the ice by sublimation. This is in contrast to dehydration by most conventional methods that evaporate water using heat.
- Growth Factors - protein signals that stimulate cell division and growth of specific tissues
- Mesenchymal natural biologics - a type of natural biologic that can give rise to many different types of cells in the body and promote healing
- Oswestry Disability Index - a questionnaire used to determine a patient's level of disability resulting from low back pain
- Plasma - the liquid component of blood that holds blood cells and platelets
- Platelet Rich Plasma - plasma with a high concentration of platelets that contain many growth factors and promote healing
- Platelets - a component of blood that promotes clotting and secretes growth factors beneficial for healing
- Natural biologics - undifferentiated cells with the potential to develop into many different cell types during growth and healing
- Undifferentiated Cells - a cell that has yet to differentiate into its final form and type